My name's Dan, and this is my space.
I'm a full-stack software developer based in London, UK.
I currently work for EduMe, where I spend most of my days developing cool front-end features.
If you've got a job opportunity you think I'd be interested in (or just want to say hi!), please get in touch below!
- A passionate software developer with experience in many fields, and huge enthusiasm for both learning new skills and refining existing ones. A quick learner with a proven record of excellence, seeking a fresh opportunity to work full-stack on an exciting project with cutting-edge technology.
- Main skills:
Jan 2017 - Present
Full Stack Developer
- Working in a small full-stack team, developing full-stack features (in React/NodeJS/PostgreSQL) on a customer-facing learning platform, as well as internal content authoring tools.
- Projects include an overhaul of testing across products, working closely with designer on internal reporting dashboards, and developing new types of learning content.
Jan 2015 - Dec 2016
- KatchUp was a small tech startup providing a private photosharing platform.
- Started as a front-end developer, working primarily on the AngularJS front end. Over course of 2 years, grew to working as Full Stack developer on our Java/MongoDB backend.
- After 1 year grew to Lead Developer, leading a mixed team of 2-4 developers. Individually responsible for major feature development across full stack, ranging from front-end UX reviews to backend performance improvements and ops/Docker maintenance.
- Frequently deployed several times a day in an incredibly fast-paced team constantly working with new and changing requirements.
- Also responsible for a total rewrite of the site to follow Angular best practices and improve testability of code, adding proper build pipeline and testing.
Sep 2013 - Dec 2014
Graduate Software Developer
- Developed several responsive web front ends for internal use. Sole developer of several internal command-line programs, largely Java or shell scripts.
- Frequently responsible for both UI/UX design, including running usability tests throughout development.
- Attended and occasionally ran weekly "Coding Dojos" in both Ruby and Java: small coding exercises designed to improve TDD and pair-programming skills, whilst also improving core language skills through open discussion of each others' solutions.
- Led a development team of seven Modern Apprentices for several weeks; responsible for both technical design and team management, on top of contributing to the codebase. Ran weekly study sessions for wider team of apprentices to assist with their university course.
- Developed several back-end SharePoint controls in C#, and responsible for managing deployment process.
Jul 2011 - Jul 2012
- Developed several applications in high-level languages as part of the Human Factors capability. Worked mostly in C++ and Pascal (with no prior experience), usually as sole developer.
- Worked closely with design and psychology experts on each program's interface, sparking my interest in user experience in general.
- Had to communicate effectively with customers to refine vague and changing requirements, especially when adding features to existing, undocumented applications.
- Frequently gave presentations on work to both existing and potential clients, as well as the wider team.
- Suggested a new project to the Olympic Taekwondo team based on an existing project, and subsequently implemented it, which was a great success for both the business and the team.
First Class BEng (Hons) Computer Science
- Achieved a First for dissertation, titled “Tracking Bird Flocks in Offshore Radar”. This involved a combination of computer vision and machine learning techniques to detect and track flocks in noisy radar images, then analyse their flight patterns.
- Final year modules covered Analysable Real Time Systems, Computer Vision, Computing by Graph Transformation and Machine Learning and Applications.
- Completed several programming assessments in Scheme, Java, MATLAB, C, C++ and Ada.
- Earlier modules covered general programming principles, usually implemented in Java.
- Other modules included: operating systems, algorithms and data structures, computer graphics, design of interactive systems, AI, relational databases and query languages, networks and distributed systems, low-level computer architectures, digital and analogue circuit design.
- Completed a 12 month industrial placement at BAE Systems’ Advanced Technology Centre in Filton.
- Developed a basic Android Wear watchface, "ish", which gives an approximate time in words rather than a traditional clock face.
- Regularly practice development skills on codewars, to keep Ruby skills fresh and to learn about new features and design patterns.
- Member of the British Origami Society for 5 years.
- Currently enrolled in a year-long photography course.
- Self-teaching Japanese language for 4 years.
- Made this website!